Here we are. This year, Fair Dealing Week will take place February 25 to March 1.
As you may know, Parliament is currently making recommendations to reform the Copyright Act.
This is a key moment in our efforts to raise awareness about the benefits of a balanced legislation, for both users and creators, educators and students.
Users’ rights, particularly fair dealing for education, hard won after many years of advocacy, are under attack. The publishing industry, in decline as it struggles to adjust to new digital marketplaces, has been demonizing educators’ so-called misuse of copyright law.
We invite you to participate in Fair Dealing Week activities by joining CAUT, campuses, libraries and academic staff associations across Canada in raising awareness of the importance of fair dealing rights.
We have to make sure Members of Parliament from all parties do the right thing.
What can you do to help?
- Sign CAUT’s petition to urge Parliament to maintain fair dealing.
- Amplify CAUT’s messages on Twitter and Facebook using hashtags #FairDealingWorks #CopyrightReview and #FairCopyright.
- Share a picture on social media of yourself or friends with the message “I’m a creator and I support fair dealing.”
- Read this Public Service Announcement and show this video in class on the importance of fair copyright.
- Share CAUT’s new and updated campaign materials – all to be found here.
- Organize an event that celebrates fair dealing or attend one happening at a library or campus near you.
Visit the Copyright Campaign site: http://copyright.caut.ca