Strike deadline looms
TORONTO – This Friday, February 9, the unionized faculty and librarians of the University of St. Michael’s College (USMC) will enter one final round of negotiations with the USMC administration. USMC faculty and librarians are represented in collective bargaining by the University of Toronto Faculty Association (UTFA).
Negotiations have been at a standstill for months. Sticking points include:
- job security for all St. Michael’s teaching stream faculty;
- benefits for contract faculty;
- the same standards of equity and diversity for hiring as U of T; and
- wage increases in line with those received by other faculty members at U of T.
A mediator appointed by Ontario’s Ministry of Labour will work with the UTFA and University bargaining committees during the February 9 bargaining session.
On January 25, the union requested the Minister of Labour issue a “no-board” report that puts the union in a legal strike position as of 12:01 a.m. on Sunday, February 11. Should a strike occur, picket lines would be set up around the USMC campus on Monday, February 12.
UTFA is committed to negotiating a fair deal before Sunday night’s strike deadline.
For more information, contact:
- Michael O’Connor, Chief Negotiator, UTFA-USMC
(416) 926-1300 x3382 or firstname.lastname@example.org