Like other Canadians, the members of UTFA's Executive Committee are deeply shocked by the abhorrent acts at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec in Quebec City. The maiming and killing of our fellow citizens at prayer are intended to undermine the peace and diversity of Canadian society. We offer our heartfelt condolences to all who have suffered as a result of this unspeakable violence.
In response to the evolving state of crisis in the United States, the University of Toronto Faculty Association expresses its ongoing commitment to a richly diverse and equitable community of students, staff, post docs, research associates, faculty, and librarians. We were extremely alarmed to read of President Trump’s executive order that sought to banish both lawful residents and those seeking refuge. We are encouraged to see that the American judiciary took steps to intervene. Like the judiciary, universities have an important role to play in safeguarding our ideal of a free and open society. UTFA urges the U of T Administration to continue steadfastly to refuse any compromise of the deeply cherished values of an inclusive University community.
UTFA’s members should email firstname.lastname@example.org if they are in need of assistance in this turbulent period.
- Faculty may use the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Students can get counselling from the Health and Wellness Centre.
Also see the following:
- University of Toronto keeping close watch on impact of US travel restrictions
- Executive order on 7-nation ban: A statement from the Department of Political Science, University of Toronto
- Statement from Astronomy (DAA/Dunlap/CITA/CPS) Faculty
- Dear students, Given recent events in Quebec and the US, we, the faculty, would like to reaffirm our support for you -- all of you. We strongly believe in the principle that your success must not be limited by your identity, nor (so long as we have any say) bounded by borders. We are firmly and unanimously on your side. Sincerely, The faculty.
- Statement from Department of Sociology at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM)
UTFA invites any member who has established a site meant to provide help to others to send the link to email@example.com, and we will post it.