UTFA is proud to note that J. Roy Gillis, the Chair of its Equity Committee, has been appointed as one of the members representing the University of Toronto to the Post-Secondary Standards Development Committee for the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Under the AODA, the Committee is charged with developing “recommendations for a proposed accessibility standard to address barriers in publicly funded post-secondary education provided by colleges and universities.”
“To develop this standard, members of the committee are required to:
- define the long-range objective of the proposed standard
- determine the measures, policies, practices and requirements to be implemented on or before January 1, 2025, and the timeframe for their implementation
- develop a proposed standard that the committee deems advisable for public comment
- consider public feedback, seek additional information if needed, and make any changes that the committee deems advisable
- make recommendations for a new accessibility standard to the Minister Responsible for Accessibility and to the Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development.”
More information can be found on the Government of Ontario website.
UTFA is committed to providing accessible service to its members, and to helping ensure that members’ accessibility needs on campus are met as well. To provide feedback to UTFA on providing more accessible service, members can make a submission via our Accessible Service Feedback Form.